Sunday, September 4, 2011

Interview with Digital Photographer and Graphic Designer Joel (Boy_Wonder)


Could you please share with us the background of your profession, and what inspired you in the beginning?

Well, I really consider Photography to be my hobby, it's something that I enjoy doing and that I feel adds a lot to my life. In my "real job", I work as a support for students with disabilities at a high school, I feel that my work life and my art life are different but can inspire each other and I love that i'm able to have those two distinct areas of my life. My inspiration to start photography was an ongoing one, I've always enjoyed creating and making art and it was a natural progression from drawing and working in different mediums to photography.




I can see that most of your work is in digital photography, which shows a particular mood or story. Your work no doubt possesses extra ordinary level of creativity, so is it difficult to remain creative all the time? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of digital work?

I feel that I enjoy the challenge of creating photographs each day although there are many days where inspiration doesn't strike or the timing is off which makes the the challenge a little more difficult. I do keep a journal of ideas for photos so that I can always fall back on something. I would say that the advantages of digital work are that you can really create anything you want, you can control absolutely everything from beginning to end whereas with traditional photography there is more skill and technique needed in certain areas.






What are the most important factors towards producing a good picture?

I would say that the most important factors are clarity, meaning that the subject or idea in the picture should be able to speak for itself without a caption. Another important area would be lighting, I find that lighting is sometimes the hardest thing to control (especially if you are a natural light photographer), but having the right light can really impact the final product.


How did you find that photography was a powerful source of expressing your talent?

Like I said earlier, I've always loved to create and I've have always enjoyed using different mediums and techniques to express myself artistically. While I enjoy drawing and painting, I never really felt that I was expressing myself in a way that I truly felt satisfied, when I started getting more and more interested in photography I learned that it was an excellent opportunity for me to express myself and at the same time continue to learn and try new things.







How has photography influenced your life and what really did you learn from it? Is it a different medium than other artistic mediums?

Photography has influenced my life in many ways, it allows me to spend some time each day to enjoy something that means a lot to me. In a way it is like meditation time, I'm usually alone and working on something that I enjoy which is calming and certainly has a positive effect on the other areas of my life. I've been fortunate to meet many amazing people from around the world through my photography and I'm humbled by the experiences that have happened in my life because of it. Through photography I've learned to see things in a different way, I tend to examine things in a new light and I try to experience as much as I can so that I can hopefully interpret what I see, touch, feel and think into my art.


How can we find you on Internet?

You can find me on flickr here: www.flickr.com/photos/joel_r/
Or on facebook here: www.facebook.com/#!/JoelRobisonPhotography
You can also purchase prints here: www.etsy.com/shop/boywonder

No comments:

Post a Comment